Monday, August 25, 2008

online school annoyances

well so it begins. Online school is indeed public school. Public school "parenting" has again reared its ugly head. The kids get the use of laptops(really really nice ones) while attending this school. We had to go to an orientation for the school and they talked about being appropriate. like in your art and in your writing be school appropriate. I thought to myself some of the most amazing art includes naked bodies. thats just the way it is. bodies are beautiful. but not in public school. not even online public school where no one but you and your teacher will see. I wrinkled up my nose at that lecture about being school appropriate. Now we have been getting to know the laptops and using the web with them. All kinds of things are blocked because they think they are somehow inappropriate for my kids. again they arent in school building where if they saw something everyone else would see it too. I think it should fall to the parent to police the computer. the words drugs and alcohol alone will get a site blocked for content. Context doesnt matter. the words alone are enough. I personally trust my kids to look at what they want to look at online. I trust them to come to me if there is something they dont understand or something bothers them. I do not let them have facebook and myspace accounts and I have access to their emails anytime I want so they do have SOME safeguards but its more of a personal safety in who are you communicating with rather than what are you reading or looking at. Its like book banning only on the web. its dumb dumb dumb. I am willing to suck it up and see how it goes but if anyone else is interested in using IQAcademy they might consider this aspect. Some people feel more strongly about this than I do and would push the envelope. I am mildly annoyed but willing to suck it up because the kids want to do this.

No comments: