Thursday, May 29, 2008

still not sure which way to go for next year

Looked at an online school but in talking with husband I dont think that will be the best route. Husband is all "get a standardized test!" "You have to see where they compare to PS" I am more of the mind "who cares where they compare to PS. ask a PS kid about art. ask a PS kid about shakespeare." They may not be exactly on level with the ps in everything. But why does it matter as long as they are moving forward and learning? and if they dont learn X by grade X will the sky fall? what if they dont learn it until X+1? why is that a problem? THAT is why I homeschool. so we can do things at our own pace. I don't see where a Standardized test will show anything more than if they are good test takers. My one son I KNOW is not a good test taker. for one thing he has ADD. and he is NOT prone to worrying about details. If you get ONE answer in the wrong line then the rest of the entire test is off! how is THAT a measure of knowledge? We generally have used the "PASS" test. but maybe the peabody would be better. the only problem there is that you have to have someone to administer it. PASS you can do yourself. although if the only requirement is a college degree I have that covered.

No comments: